When many students begin to think about their college career, they typically imagine themselves at a brick-and-mortar campus, taking classes inside large lecture halls located inside historic buildings. However, this is not the only way to get the degree you want. In fact, for many people, pursuing a degree at one of the best accredited online colleges is the best possible option.
There are a vast range of accredited online degree programs available, and students find that these innovative degree programs allow them to develop the skills they need in order to start a fulfilling career.
Thinking about going back to school? At Hilbert College, we know how important choosing the right college, right program and right learning modality can be to your future. That’s why we put together this quick list of five reasons why an online degree may be the best choice for you:
1. Accelerated Online Degrees Help You Earn the Same Degree in Less Time
Online degree programs are fast and efficient, often allowing students to earn the credits they need in the shortest amount of time possible. In fact, many online degree programs can build upon previous credits earned, which allows students to finish their program faster. While there are many four-year online degree programs to choose from, there also are accelerated online degrees that can be completed in as little as 18 months.
When you select an accelerated degree program, you put yourself on the fast track toward success. You spend less time completing your education, which in turn allows you to spend more time in the professional sphere earning your income and climbing the corporate ladder. Many accredited online colleges offer accelerated online degrees in a variety of subject areas, affording students of all interests and abilities the option to earn a degree in a short amount of time.
2. The Cost of an Online Degree is Typically Less than a Traditional Program
Perhaps one of the largest benefits of accelerated online degree programs is the fact that the cost of online degree programs is often less than a traditional four-year degree. These degree programs have a more affordable price tag for many reasons, including:
- Online degree programs can be accelerated, requiring students to take only the classes that they absolutely need for their chosen degree. This means students only have to foot the bill for the credits that will directly benefit them, rather than paying for additional electives.
- The materials for online courses are cheaper than many of the materials that are required for courses in a traditional program. Many online students are able to pay nominal fees for access to digital textbooks, and they do not have to purchase extra supplies to complete their work in-person.
- Another key is the fact that online students work from wherever they have internet access—no additional costs associated with traveling to and from classes.
3. Accredited Online Degree Programs Offer a High-Quality Learning Experience
The online learning environment is markedly different from the physical classroom, but students still enjoy a high-quality learning experience. In fact, many students who have spent time in both types of classrooms report that they appreciate the benefits of being in a digital classroom. For instance, online students always have access to their class materials, which includes video lectures from professors, slideshows with detailed information, informative graphics and multimedia presentations. Students can take as much time as they need to review and absorb this information, which often leads to a higher rate of retention after the course is completed. In addition to utilizing the digital materials that are available, online students often have access to supplemental materials, including textbooks and prepared study guides. Ultimately, this allows them to customize their environment and improve their personal learning experience.
4. Students in Accredited Online Degree Programs Learn Critical Soft Skills
There is no denying that accredited online degree programs prepare students for their chosen career field by offering valuable classes and relevant coursework. However, online degree students also have an opportunity to hone soft skills that are in high demand among the workforce. Some examples of soft skills that students may develop during their online degree programs include:
- Improved Communication Skills
- Better Time Management Skills
- Ability to Think Creatively
- Ability to Collaborate with Others in Various Environments
- Ability to Offer Innovative Solutions
The leaders in all of the top industries know that students who complete online degree programs are naturally motivated and organized. Anyone who enrolls in an online degree program will quickly learn how to work at their own pace, communicate effectively with others in the digital realm and suggest creative and innovative ideas to solve the problems that have been presented to them.
5. Flexible Scheduling Allows Students to Balance Work and School
Another reason that online students are uniquely poised for success is that they are able to effectively balance professional and educational responsibilities. Many students are able to pursue one of the accelerated online degrees from their chosen college while simultaneously working in their field. Not only does this give online students a chance to develop the skills they will need in their professional roles, but it also helps them to apply the knowledge that they are learning in the digital classroom. Students who are able to secure an entry-level job while earning their degree can often take a higher step in their career immediately after graduation. In many cases, students who pursue an online degree are able to go further in their career in a shorter amount of time.
When you enroll in an online degree program from one of the best accredited online colleges, you will place yourself on the path to success. Students who complete a degree online often have a set of marketable skills that set them apart from the competition during their job search.