On January 26, students from Hilbert, St. Bonaventure, and Buffalo State, teamed up and participated in a marketing competition. The goal was to design a logo, icon, and a selling sheet for a local non-for-profit animal rescue. Below are photos from this event.
Hilbert is proud to be the location for Buffalo’s design “Hack-a-thon” on January 26, 2019, where professionals and students from the advertising and design community will work together in teams to help build a branded campaign from scratch in 5 hours for a local non-profit.
This event is a great way for students to gain real world experience in a fun and competitive setting, while networking with peers and professionals from Buffalo’s creative community.
Here’s how it works:
Professional team captains will work with teams of 3-5 students with an even disbursement of talent types (design, copywriting, marketing, etc.). Each team will be presented with a real-life non-profit organization in need of assets for a branded campaign. This will include a logo, tagline, and one marketing piece. Teams will have five hours to put together their branded campaign and will present their finished products to the judges, non-profit representatives, and other BrandHack participants.
You can register to get involved with this exciting event on the AAFBuffalo website here. Stay tuned on Facebook and Instagram for more information, and mark your calendars for more exciting Communication Career Week events happening at Hilbert from January 22-26, brought to you by the Hilbert College Digital Media and Communication Department in conjunction with the Hilbert Career Development & Community Engagement Center!
- Chris Gallant, Chair of Arts and Sciences Division, helped jury the 2018 Buffalo 48 hour Film Festival in August. The winner of the Best Film award will go on to represent Buffalo against all the other city winners around the world at Filmapalooza 2019 in Orlando, Florida. Last year’s winner went all the way to screen at the Cannes Film Festival, Court Métrage.
- Additionally, and probably most importantly, last year’s winner of 2018 Buffalo 48 hour Film Festival “Ride of Your Life” by the film collective Partially Submerged Elephants included crew members Allen Leight ’06 and Cheri (White) Leight ’06. Both are DMaC alums; see below for a couple of photos from their trip Cannes this past May.
- HAWK Radio, Hilbert College’s web radio station, celebrated College Radio Day with a 24-hour live broadcast and game night in the college quad with a goal of collecting 200 donations of personal items for homeless youth. Listeners of HAWK Radio visited the live broadcast, which began Thursday, October 4 outside of Franciscan Hall, and donated personal items to support Compass House, a Western New York based not-for-profit, which provides young men and women shelter, counseling, and other services. Dr. Don Vincent is the Hawk Radio faculty advisor.
- Tom Wills ’12 was accepted last month into the Society of Camera Operators, an internationally recognized professional honorary society. He has worked on many films and also for television and works regularly on Saturday Night Live. Below is an image of Tom operating his Steadicam rig during the filming of Tina Fey for SNL Season 43.
- WIVB-TV journalist Erica Brecher visited with Prof. Chris Gallant’s multimedia class and Mr. Justin Sondel’s journalism students on Sept 27th. The visit was supported through an educational outreach initiative of the Buffalo Broadcasters Association.
- Chris Gallant was elected to the Board of the Buffalo chapter of the American Advertising Federation. Here’s a link to the page on the AAF website. Here’s a link to the Buffalo News announcement.