Search
Franciscan Value: Service

Franciscan Value: Service

The COVID-19 global pandemic has wreaked havoc on a lot of things. It has closed campuses, schools, businesses, and places of worship. It has limited gatherings. Cancelled celebrations. Forced many to miss out on moments of excitement and togetherness. But one thing it has not done is stifle the Franciscan values we hold dear here at Hilbert College, as evidenced by several of our students who are serving in essential roles during these difficult times.

We reached out to some of them to share their experiences with us here.

Corey Haertel
Human Services, ‘21

Where are you working, and in what role?
Wegmans – Pharmacy Technician

How has your overall experience been while working in an essential position?
Very mixed. Some people are very appreciative and respectful and some have been very nasty.

How has your Hilbert education prepared you for these times?
Hilbert has prepared me by teaching me how to work with diverse populations and how to be respectful and empathetic with those people. 

Have you been personally impacted by COVID-19?
No, my immediate family and I remain healthy.

How do your personal beliefs play into your acts of service?
I always have been one to help others. I very often put other people before myself and that has been no experience during this time.  I have been very accommodating to my patients and do as much as I possibly can to make them happy and get them on their way so they don’t have to be in public for any longer then they have to be.

Anything else you’d like to share?
I’ve seen some amazing things happen while working during this pandemic. Buffalo has always been the city of good neighbors and this has definitely been seen through this. People are really helping each and performing selfless acts for people whom they may not even know.

Erica Filk
Human Services, ‘21

Mighty Taco – Shift Manager

Stressful

I have learned better coping strategies and am able to understand why exactly people are responding in the ways they are.

Several people I know had COVID-19.

I try to act with kindness, compassion, and maintain people’s dignity.

Anything else you’d like to share?
Please be nice to fast food workers. We’re very stressed out, too – and many of us aren’t getting any kind of hazard pay or bonuses.

“Remember that when you leave this earth, you can take with you nothing that you have received, only what you have given: a full heart enriched by honest service, love, sacrifice and courage.” – St. Francis of Assisi