Search
Transfer Thursday – Erica Filk’s Transfer Experience

Transferring to Hilbert College was one of the best experiences of my life, as well as one of the most nerve wracking. During my first year of college I discovered the large university I was at just wasn’t for me, and that I wanted a smaller school, a more hands on program, and something a little closer to home. Hilbert was the perfect match for me – so I decided to apply straight away.

The free rolling application made it easy to apply, and soon after I got my acceptance letter. Transferring is a lot of work however – getting all the proper forms in place, having transcripts sent over, applying for financial aid, signing up for classes – and I was nervous at where I should even begin. Luckily, the faculty and staff at Hilbert College were ready and willing to help me every step of the way.

I was able to get everything in order in time to attend orientation, and started at the beginning of fall 2018. There are so many people I am thankful to for helping me during the transfer experience: the staff who helped me better understand the Human Services program, the faculty who took time to meet with me in person and evaluate which of my credits would transfer, and what classes would fit me, and financial aid for sitting on the phone with me while I asked question after question.

transfer student erika filk with classmates

“My transfer experience ended up being one of the smoothest transitions I could hope for.”

Looking back, the only thing I wish I had done differently was to meet with a financial aid advisor in person-they explain everything the best they can, but navigating the FAFSA and NY financial aid websites are much harder on your own. Thankfully, once I began to attend classes, I was able to go to financial aid during their office hours whenever I had questions.

My transfer experience ended up being one of the smoothest transitions I could hope for. Coming to Hilbert has been the best decision I’ve made not only in terms of my education, but for my future. There are so many opportunities for students to get out into the community, make connections, and discover their passion.

My advice for students looking to transfer is to take the leap; do not be afraid, Hilbert will be there to help you every step of the way.

-Erica Filk, junior, Human Services Major

If you are interested in transferring to Hilbert College, our admissions team is here to help! Learn more here or give us a call at (716) 926-8780 / Toll-Free 1-800-649-8003.